Forty Media recently posted a great article on things that make a great website. 5 of them actually and I must say I have to agree with the list. If you are thinking about redirecting the focus of you site or looking for a focus drive an idea these 5 tips could be vital to your site’s success.
(Or maybe just a good starting point).
The list is as follows:
1. Challenge assumptions – controversy always brings interest, and Forty Media explains how controversy in design, going against the norm can help bring you visitors and keep them
2. Provide Rich Content – No Brainer but go examples
3. Make it Sticky – Basically offer choices for visitors to get more information
4. Bring in a Pro – Be it a designer or a writer someone who has been there and done that can get your site off to a big head start
5. Love you website – If you love it they will come, if you develop good information and a nice design people will spread the word for you, and it all comes from you enjoying your work (or play, however you look at it.)
Check out the detailed explanations of each method over at Forty Media’s article Five Rules for Great Websites